Monday, February 15, 2016

Highlights from Caer Adamant Schola: Southern Army Melee Tactics

I wanted to at least touch a little bit on what was discussed this past weekend, though I will be limited in detail as I promised not to make public the army's strategies.

In short, I arrived for the final class of the day, which was a discussion on battle tactics presented by Sir Thorson who intends to introduce the Southern region to a lot of the Northern region's methods of fighting.  All in all I thought it was a great presentation and am eager to see what the future holds for us.  Normally I'm quite critical of these kinds of presentations as I've found many in charge in the SCA to be stuck in old paradigms, and have had this reinforced by having read the manuals of many other kingdoms.

Having said that, I really can't find a single thing critique.  It really was an excellent presentation with a lot of really good ideas and approaches that I think are very practical and effective.

As I said, I will be short on detail, but fear not as I am certain the details will reveal themselves in the proper manner.  I'll leave it simply at this:  large scale melee fighting is built on a foundation of small team melee tactics.  If you haven't been doing so already, start drilling at your local practice.  2 on 1s.  2 on 2s.  3 on 2s.  Spear on spear.  3 rookies against the knight.  Etc.

I plan on pushing at every practice I attend that if we have at least 2 other fighters show up, we'll spend at least a portion of the practice on melee.  Will you do the same?


Check out an analysis of last Pennsic's unbelted battle here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks man. I know the secrecy of it at this point is a little silly, but I promised. I greatly appreciate your respect of that. Also... Getting stuck in a single fighting paradigm is a sure path to defeat. Keep on challenging our ideas!

    ReplyDelete